8.06.2009

wierd, quirky and oh so delicious

I may have had a slight addiction to Hellmann's mayonnaise as a kid. Mayonnaise, cream cheese, and sour cream actually, but mayonnaise reigned number one. Generously slathered on white bread, graced with slices of sweet, juicy tomatoes and a sprinkle of garlic salt and black pepper, made for an utterly mouthwatering after school snack. Tuna salad, potato salad, coleslaw, you name it; if it had mayonnaise I was a happy camper. Cold pizza, chicken cutlets and leftover roasted potatoes right from the fridge dipped in this wondrous condiment was my downfall, but that's neither here nor there, because mayonnaise is seriously good; and people, I am not ashamed. 

We all have our quirks and habits and that is what makes eating and cooking so fun and playful. These days I have upped the sophistication factor, and now olive oil; good, fruity, intense olive oil, has stolen mayo's place. I find myself using it like water, like it does not cost a thing, and like I can afford to buy a new bottle every two weeks or so. I love taking rice cakes, drizzling oil in the little crevices and topping it with salt or a little raw sugar if I am craving something sweet. It's a bit of a habit, that, and finishing off a whole, well quarter size, watermelon standing up at the kitchen counter. Confession is; it's a bit difficult to move after, because you are so outrageously full with water. Confession two; I just can't stop once I start! It must be the heat and the fact that I have kind of been doing this since I was a kid. Old habits never die.

I also tend to go through phases with food, condiments, fruit, or what have you. At the moment I am on a cheese and honey kick. Fresh or aged, it does not matter; flying solo or on a rice cake, take your pick. It's my go to snack and I can, will and do make a meal out of it. Rolling into its second week I may have to change it up soon, but right now I am still content. Another favorite, garbanzo beans: love, love, love them. For lunch I sometimes throw together a little late afternoon bean salad. I quickly sauté cherry tomatoes until they burst, add garbanzos, crumbled blue cheese, and dress them with olive oil, white wine vinegar, pimentón and a smidgen of honey for a smooth sweetness. Then, then I top it all off with a fried egg, sprinkled with sea salt of course and lots of fresh black pepper. It is fast, as simple as it gets and pretty damn satisfying. No picture at the moment, but I will be sure to post the next time I fancy this dish, which I am sure will be very soon.

There is no recipe or groundbreaking news to report here, just a little something to chew on; so, until next time, happy eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment