8.13.2009

death by chocolate


Ohhh my goodness that was an intense wallop of chocolate. Don't mind me, the cakes I baked just came out of the oven and I could not resist stealing a bite. In September I will be making little treats for my friend's poetry event, which she hosts each month, so, I thought it would be a good idea to do a test run. I am tinkering with a few recipes and decided to swap out white flour in favor of almond flour and increase the amount by a smidgeon, because I want the cake to have a bit more stability. As for the chocolate, well I used 85 percent Lindt and I think it could be too overpowering, not sure, need to take a poll. Perhaps I will try using 75 percent next time or switch to a different brand. Lindt produces a fabulous pure chocolate taste, however, there is a slight bitterness to it and I would like a cake that is just a tad sweeter. The texture is not gooey, nor cakey but closer to a decadent truffle-like,  slightly undercooked brownie.  Next time, vanilla extract will be added, because apparently my eyes could not find it any of the five stores I schlepped to in and around my neighborhood. Project vanilla is on! All in all I was pleased with the result. Warm out of the oven and nestled next to a scoop of cool, sweet vanilla icecream and you will be in heaven. 

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Bake 1 hour (toothpick should not be spotless)

12 oz. semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate

3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter

3/4 c. plus 2T sugar 

4 eggs

4 egg yolks

1/2 tsp. salt

6T almond flour

3t vanilla extract

  1. Cut chocolate and butter into small pieces and melt over a double boiler. 
  2. While the chocolate is cooling, whisk by hand or with an electric mixer, the yolks, whole eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla until ribbon stage, which will look pale yellow and the batter will be thick enough to fall gracefully into ribbon like streams. 
  3. Pause for one minute breathe in the insane aroma of chocolate and eggy scent of the batter. Once nose is fully sated, fold in almond flour and chocolate. Mix until uniform in color. 
  4. Line a pan with about 16 buttered ramekins. Create a water bath by pouring enough water to reach halfway up the pan.
  5. While baking try to find something to keep you occupied, because you may just want to crawl out of your skin and into the oven. The smell is pretty glorious kiddies.


No comments:

Post a Comment