7.28.2009

la di laa it's time for ice cream!

Ice cream is the perfect food, dessert, snack, or any other name you want to throw in its humble direction. It cools you down in the summer, comforts you in the winter, and has the ability to satisfy a variety of cravings or match your mood to a tee. Sweet, creamy, floral vanilla bean for a happy-go-lucky kind of afternoon or a complex, dark chocolate for an intense kind of night. For me any flavor will suffice. Satiny, luscious coconut speckled with fresh shredded flakes; bright, fragrant peach sorbet or perhaps a heavenly dulce de leche, swirling with ribbons of divine caramel. I am not going to pretend like I am a master of portion control, because clearly I don't want to lie to you, so I will just lay it all out on the table. I can easily, easily finish off a whole tub of ice cream in the course of a day and maybe even one sitting. Ok, It may be a low fat variety, but still come on that's impressive. 

The point of me rambling on about this creamy treat is to segue into me now telling you about Cremaría Tuscana, which is a gourmet ice cream shop situated in the El Born neighborhood. Hands down, this pintsize of a store is the place to visit when you want to cool your bones and pleasure your taste buds with a quality made ice cream. I have not tried every flavor, so I will only attest to the following: banana, nata (cream), stracciatella, green apple sorbet, vanilla bean and dulce de leche. In the end I must confess I am a sucker for nata. Boring I know, but there is something so appetizing about the taste of pure cream and sugar. Honest, simple and delicious. When I traveled around Spain last summer, I think I licked my way though enough of this to turn anyone with a stomach of steal to becoming a lactose intolerant wimp. That is to say I ate a lot.

Now, go on. Go. Make me proud and order a couple of cups or cones of this wonder food and revel in its splendor.

Cremería Tuscana, Corner of C/Canvis Nous and Vells de Barcelona.

No comments:

Post a Comment